HTML5 Training Course
HTML5 is everywhere, and is a technology that can no longer be ignored or treated as a mere extension of HTML4.
Almost anything you see in App Stores can now be created with pure HTML5.
Although we will cover some of the most exciting features of HTML5 such as geolocation, web sockets, local storage, SVG and Canvas, the focus of the course will be to help people understand the core principles and best practices for creating websites and apps.
2 days.HTML5 is composed of the following:
- HTML5 Essentials Modules (1 day)
- HTML5 Fast Track Modules (1 day)
Alexis Goldstein is an entrepreneur, a technical author and a teacher based in Brooklyn, NY. She is the founder and CEO of Aut Faciam, a technical training, consulting and software development company and also the co-author of book "HTML5 & CSS3 in The Real World" by Sitepoint.
On top of that, Alexis is also extremely plugged into the community. She is a proud member of NYC Resistor in Brooklyn, NY, where she learns, builds and teaches, she is a 2011 NextNY Fellow and is also a co-organizer and teacher for Girl Develop It, a group that conducts low-cost programming classes where women can learn in a non-intimidating environment.
Prior to founding aut faciam, Alexis spent seven years working in technology on Wall Street. She worked in both the cash equity and equity derivatives spaces. Her focus ranged from the development of client-facing, realtime cash trading systems to creating proprietary software for equity option pricing and volatility surface modeling. Follow her on Twitter at @alexisgoldstein.
Viewing Hardware Acceleration in CSS
Fun and Flair with CSS3 AnimationsMore about Alexis Goldstein...
HTML5 Essentials Modules (1 day)
Intro to Front End Engineering (1 hour)
- Vision for HTML5
- Mobile web is the web
- How HTML5 integrates with everything
- Front End Engineering is not an island
- Basic Markup
Basic Markup (1 hour)
- What is semantic markup, what we dropped from HTML4 and why
- New Tags in HTML5
- Doctype and charsets
- Essential Meta Information
- Web Developer Tools
- Overview of the DOM
- Putting your first HTML5 webpage online
- Basic Versioning
- Validating your code, and browser issues
- Basic Selecting and Styling
Basic Selecting and Styling (1 hour)
- How to select elements in the DOM with CSS
- How to manipulate the page using the Cascade
- Block and Inline elements
- Floats, positioning, borders, margins, padding and text
- Understanding the viewport
- If/else and equivalence
- Object Literals
- Scope and Hoisting
Intermediate Markup (1 hour)
- Effective positioning of your scripts
- Good uses of the head tag
- Importing vs linking
- More Meta Tags
- Inserting Analytics
API Overview (1 hour)
A high level overview (30,000ft) of all the main APIs and related subjects that make up what we know as HTML5 We will be touching on HTML5 subjects from Canvas and the Application Cache, to Touch Events, Messaging API, Responsive Design, Geolocation and Websockets just to name a few.
HTML5 Fast Track Modules (1 day)
HTML5 FastTrack is a one-day course for semi-professional developers or graduates from our HTML5 Essentials.
This module is exclusively offered as a part of HTML5 Course.
- Using web developer tools Tips for using the console
- Deeper into the DOM
- Scope, Private and Public, Callbacks and Nesting, NameSpacing, Using Object Literals, patterns, code execution, and general best practices
- Jquery, and the 20% you will use 80% of the time
- Event Handling and Binding Gotchas
- Intermediate Selecting and Styling
Intermediate Selecting and Styling (1 hour)
- Using web developer tools for live styling
- CSS3 selectors
- CSS3 properties
- CSS3 hints and gotchas
- Custom styles and conditional hacks
- The 20% of CSS3 that you will use 80% of the time
- Advanced Markup and SVG
Advanced Markup and SVG (1 hour)
- Even more meta tags
- SEO outlining
- Advanced SVG
- Device listening (@media)
- Working with third party fonts
- Retina versioning
- Advanced Selecting and Styling
Advanced Selecting and Styling (1 hour)
- Gylphs and Font Icons
- Effective use of multiple background images
- Gotchas for nth-of and other static selectors
- Advanced positioning techniques
- Border gotchas, grids, tables, and flex boxes
- EMs vs Pixels (pros and cons)
- Resetting Techniques
- CSS3 Fallback best practices
- Advanced styling with before and after filter injection
- HTML entities
- API Code Overview
API Code Overview (1 hour)
A mid-level overview (500ft) of all the APIs and related subjects that make up what we know as HTML5 We will be covering all the main HTML5 related subjects from Canvas and the Application Cache, to Touch Events Messaging API, Responsive Design, GeoLocation and WebSockets just to name a few This section moves quickly and discusses actual code.